Encyclopedia of Shinto
詳細表示 (Complete Article)
|カテゴリー1：||8. Schools, Groups, and Personalities|
|カテゴリー2：||Modern Sectarian Groups|
A Shinto-derived new religious movement founded by Hozumi Kenkō (1913-76), who had experienced religious practice at the Shugendō center Dewa Sanzan. It began in 1931 when Kenkō established the Yudonosan Kitōjo (Mount Yudono Invocatory Prayer Center). Even today, the group's faith in the three mountains of Dewa (Dewa sanzan) remains strong, and it emphasizes the performance of religious practices there. In 1934 Kenkō met Hozumi Hisako (1908-2003), a woman who had also devoted herself to religious practice and had acquired spiritualist abilities. Kenkō married Hisako, becoming an adopted son-in-law in her family. As husband and wife the two performed religious practices in Jikkōkyō, and in 1935 set up the church Jikkōkyō Yudonosan Shinshū Kyōkai.
In 1946, they seceded from Jikkōkyō, moving their headquarters to Shiogama City and adopting the present name of their movement. In 1947 the group was registered under the postwar Religious Corporations Ordinance (Shūkyō Hōjinrei) and in 1953 under the new Religious Corporations Law (Shūkyō Hōjinhō).
Kenkō's wife Hisako had achieved an important place in the movement as a spirit medium, and in 1952 she began to conduct proselytizing activities in Sendai. In 1956 she established a separate religious corporation, the Taiwa Kyōdan, and in 1957 the couple separated. Kenkō's eldest daughter Noriko took on the responsibility for transmitting divine oracles, and following Kenkō's death in 1976, her husband Masao became the new Superintendent of the movement.
Headquarters: Miyagi Prefecture
Nominal membership: approximately 18,000 (M)