Encyclopedia of Shinto
詳細表示 (Complete Article)
|カテゴリー1：||8. Schools, Groups, and Personalities|
|カテゴリー2：||Modern Sectarian Groups|
A Shinto-derived new religion strongly influenced by Sekai Kyūseikyō. Its founder Iwanaga Kayoko (1934-) became a member of Sekai Kyūseikyō in 1958. Her husband Hidetaka also joined, and together they alternated leadership of the movement's Ujina branch center in Hiroshima. Due to internal struggles within Sekai Kyūseikyō during its attempts to implement its program of centralization (known in the movement as the ichigenka campaign), however, they established the Tensei Shinbikai in 1973 as an independent group. The next year this group was incorporated as a legally independent religious organization under the Religious Corporations Law (Shūkyō Hōjinhō).
Proclaiming the goal of returning to the teachings of Okada Mokichi (1882-1955) (founder of Sekai Kyūseikyō), the group venerates Okada as its founder and affirms the miraculous power of the practice of jōrei (spiritual purification) that Okada carried out through the rite of tekazashi (raising the hand toward the recipient). In 1988 the movement completed construction of its main hall of worship at its current location. Iwanaga Kayoko holds the position of kaishu (master) and carries out the role of guiding disciples, while her husband Hidetaka and eldest son Katsunori oversee the day-to-day administration of the movement, serving respectively as chief executive and chairman.
Headquarters: Hiroshima Prefecture
Nominal membership: approximately 37,000 (S)