Encyclopedia of Shinto
詳細表示 (Complete Article)
|カテゴリー1：||8. Schools, Groups, and Personalities|
|カテゴリー2：||Modern Sectarian Groups|
A new religion deriving from Sekai Kyūseikyō. In 1955 Kihara Yoshihiko, an Ōmoto devotee from the Sekai Kyūseikyō's branch church Kōtama Daikyōkai, dissolved this group's relationship with Kyūseikyō, declared the group's independence and set up a new religious organization named Sekai Meishukyō. Even after becoming independent, however, the group continued to revere Sekai Kyūseikyō's founder Okada Mokichi (1882-1955) as "Meishusama" ("spiritual leader") while considering Kihara to be Okada's leading disciple.
In 1958 the group moved its headquarters to their current location in Fukuoka. In 1960 the movement changed its name to the Shin Kenkō Kyōkai ("New Health Association"), then changed again to its present name in 1980. In 1987 it constructed its Seimei ("clear light") Hall where art exhibitions are also sponsored. The influence of Okada Mokichi on the movement is strong, and the Seimeikyō continues to follow Okada's dictum about seeking to realize paradise in this world. Its activities also emphasize the jōreihō, the technique of performing spiritual purification initially developed by Okada, and it has adopted that technique as a central plank in its teaching and proselytizing activities. In other areas, it conducts proselytizing activities by emphasizing methods of organic farming and art.
Headquarters: Fukuoka Prefecture
Nominal membership: approximately 12,000 (M)
— Yumiyama Tetsuya